Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Christmas in California

After a long December of shopping, parties, taking care of many RS president responsibilities, packing up our Christmas gifts and driving to California, celebrating Christmas and New Year's, going to Sea World, learning of my grandmother's passing, extending our stay in CA for 2 weeks to be able to attend her funeral, and driving home....I finally have found some time to catch up on all of our activities. I've got a lot to catch up on so I'm sure I'll be doing it in many posts.

We had a great Christmas. It is our tradition to go to California. We asked our kids if they'd like to stay in Utah this year, but both of them were adamant that we spend Christmas there... they love visiting Uncle Bob on Christmas Eve, and having Christmas morning at Grandma Mary's house. This year we were lucky to have Zac's parents drive down as well to spend Christmas with our family. It was great to have them there.


Christmas Eve wouldn't be complete without being able to open a present...they are finally catching on that mom get's to choose which present to open and it always has new PJ's.

This next picture is a long time Christmas morning tradition. Everyone has to wait until everyone is ready and sits on the stairs to take a picture before going to see what Santa brought. I love this tradition as it reminds me of the great anticipation I felt just wondering what great surprise was awaiting me.



From bottom to top: Rachel, Lucas, Ben, Uncle Donnie, Zac, me, Aunt Ally, Grandma Bonnie, and Grandpa Steve. We always sit youngest to oldest...note: yes, I am sitting above Zac because I am older (& wiser!) than him!


I've included a video of this classic reaction to Santa's gift. I think they were a little excited.



Santa was nice enough to bring a Wii. It's been a hit in our home. Even I like to stop my house hold chores and join in once in a while!


The kids had a great Christmas morning. We were joined by Todd, Erika, and the twins bright and early to open presents with us. The rest of the gang came throughout the day...some for breakfast and all for dinner. 6 out of the 8 kids in my family were there with their families. We are grateful for Grandma in hosting great Christmas celebrations that make us want to come back year after year.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Love the Christmas video. Don't you just love getting a reaction from the kids like that. Makes all the money you spend on christmas worth it.....right?

jkimball said...

I am with your kids. I would love to spend Christmas in CA but we are glad to have you back. Thanks for all you have done for me and the ward these last 3 years. You are very loved.